Friday, April 19, 2013

PA Day - put the kids to work

Who knew that it would take SO LONG for me to get around to posting again.  I could make an excuse, but I got nothing.  Just pure laziness!!!

Anyway, today is  a PA day and after lazing around the house all day, the kids and I went to a matinee of The Crood's.  (thumbs down)

Michael was away for dinner as a friend was in town on business, so as a means to (a) get dinner dealt with and (b) kill time, I suggested that the kids should cook dinner.

A few weeks ago, Philip went to a cooking class at Loblaws where they made chinese food.   So, I suggested to them that they make 3 things (one a piece) from the recipes that he received.

First up - The Soup Course - By Wilhelmina

We decided to do Wonton soup.  I made it recently and preferred my recipe to Philips, so Willy set to work.   Here is the link to the recipe that I found that I like:


http://www.hungrycravings.com/2010/11/wonton-soup.html

Here is a picture of Wilhelmina stuffing the wontons:

She did a fantastic job!



The Main Course:  Baked Egg Rolls - By Eleanor and Chinese Noodles - By Philip:

Baked Egg Rolls:

  • 1 pack coleslaw mix
  • 250 ml shredded cooked chicken (i just used a rotisserie chicken as i was pressed for time)
  • 1/2 cup grated carrot
  • 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
  • 1 tsp sweet red chili sauce
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 12-14 egg roll wrappers
  • cooking spray
  • plum sauce for dipping
preheat oven to 350.   Mix first six ingredients in a bowl.  Lay 1 egg roll wrapper in front of you so that it makes a diamond shape.  Spook 3-4 tsp of filling into middle of wrapper.  Fold up as instructed on egg roll wrapper package.  Place on a prepared baking sheet (I used parchment).  Repeat with remaining wrappers.   Spray oil on each egg roll.  Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.  Serve warm, with plum sauce.   

Here's Eleanor peeling a carrot!!




Chinese Noodles

Sauce:
  • 2 tbsp minced ginger
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3 tbsp ketchup
  • 2 tbsp hoisin
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 3 tbsp water

  • 1 large red pepper, sliced
  • 3 green onions, sliced on diagonal
  • 1 bag bean sprouts (I only used half)
  • 2 cooked chicken breasts, sliced (I used the rotisserie chicken)
  • 4 nests medium egg noodles
  • 1 tbsp canola oil
In a bowl, mix sauce ingredients.  Set aside.  Bring a pot of water to boil and cook noodles as per package direction.  Drain and set aside.  
Heat wok and add oil.  Sautee onion and red pepper for a few minutes.  Add chicken and warm it.  Add sauce and stir well until bubbling.  Add noodles and bean sprouts an dmix well until bean sprouts wilt.  Serve.

Here's Philip getting his wok on!






RESULTS

Awesome dinner!!  Everyone loved it.  I would totally make everything again.  The egg rolls maybe aren't quite as tasty as they'd be if they were deep fried, but this is much healthier.   Everyone was happy!!

Noodle delight

Awesome Wonton

Pretty egg rolls. Elanor insisted on doing some like an "envelope"





2 comments:

  1. I'm lost... PA day? I think the penny dropped when I thought up 'Personal Assistants' day.
     
    But right from the top you confused me with 4-H recipe. Does that imply 4 hours cooking time?
     
    Excuse me, I must be thick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PA day means no school (teacher meetings). 4-H is a rural organization that teaches cooking skills to country kids.

    ReplyDelete